Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 24 - From Garden City, Kansas to Dodge City, Kansas - 52 miles


Today is the shortest day of the whole trip, which was nice on my legs but I would be fine flying through good ole Kansas and getting the hell out of here! The state STINKS from all the cow feeding lots and the trucks that transport the cows to their death. Missouri here we come! Kansas' idea of an "overlook", which I interpretated as a nice scenary spot, is a cow feed lot - well, I guess that is Kansas' scenary! We are riding along the Santa Fe Trail, which has a lot of history to it, including the killing of many indians on their homeland... oh, you can see my mood today!

We arrived in Dodge City, which is a country western town that is losing its country feeling (lots of the places are falling down) but there is a little still there for tourists. We are going to some show tonight, which hopefully we give us that Country Feeling and maybe some love for Kansas?!?

I was SUPER homesick today and had a lot of tears but made my ticket to go home the day after the ride ends and I look forward to being back in Cali. Don't get me wrong - I still love waking up every day and riding and having fun exploring our country, but I think after over 24 days on the road, I am ready to see home and my friends and family. It will be nice to see my mom in Missouri and to get out of Kansas - that will help, I'm sure.

So, as I ride along Kansas, I think to myself "THIS TOO SHALL PASS" and so should the homesickness. Love to you all and please comment if you read this. I'd love to hear from home and friends.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I spent one year at Offutt AFB near Omaha, Nebraska, and every day it seemed that the wind was coming directly from the feed lots. I do sympathize. But hang in there. This, too, shall pass.
You go, girl!